It’s beginning to look a lot like vacation! If you haven’t yet experienced the magic and joy of the annual St. Augustine Nights of Lights event, you must add it to your bucket list. No tropical holiday getaway would be complete without enjoying the enchanting sites of the Nation’s Oldest City, all dressed up for the most wonderful time of year. Keep reading for details on this popular event you won’t want to miss. Trust us; it’s truly what festive dreams are made of!
Experience the Magic of the Season
From the Saturday before Thanksgiving through the end of January, St. Augustine will be fully decked out for the holidays and glowing with millions of sparkling white lights. Lights will be strung in brilliant hues everywhere you look, from the glistening pavement to the tops of palm trees and buildings, stretching on for nearly 20 blocks. See the sites on foot, by bicycle or pedicab, by trolley, or by train! Needless to say, St. Augustine knows how to throw a joyous party, and we’re looking forward to it!
Insider’s Local Tip: Though Nights of Lights is made up of predominately white lights, legend has it that you may spot of few colored bulbs. The story states that years ago, a city employee’s daughter was in a wheelchair, and each year as the employee was stringing lights for the event, he would hide a red light at a height that would allow his daughter to find it. To this day, many believe that there is a red light or two hidden among the white bulbs. Keep an eye out for this special sight!
May Your Days Be Merry & Bright
We’re not the only ones that have glowing things to say about this event. National Geographic named Nights of Lights one of the Top 10 Holiday Light Displays in the World and House Beautiful named St. Augustine One of the Best Christmas Towns in the country! Our own St. Augustine Inn was named one of the Top 10 Bed and Breakfasts for Enjoying the Holidays. With reviews like that, you know the merriest time of year will be nothing short of unforgettable here in the classic 450-year-old city we call home.
Sneak a Peek at What’s in Store
This holiday season, you may not be able to peek at your presents, but you can unwrap the holiday magic with a look at some of the activities that occur during Nights of Lights each year.
- Opening Night Ceremony – Be there for the start of the season as St. Augustine is lit up for the first time all year!
- The Plaza de la Constitución – The perfect place to get an Instagrammable selfie in front of the beautiful Christmas tree, centered in the plaza, while enjoying live entertainment!
- Old Town Trolley Tour – Climb aboard and see the sites from the comfort of a charming local trolley. (This is the perfect holiday date night!)
- Wine & Carriage Tour – Savor a glass of good cheer and an old-fashioned horse-drawn carriage ride through the city.
- Fun at Bayfront Marin House – Our Inn will be lit up too! Enjoy our decorations and look forward to the specials we often offer this time of year. From room discounts and complimentary trolley tours, to scheduled snowstorms on our patio, we always have something exciting going on! Upon arrival, ask your Innkeepers for more details and recommendations.
Reserve a Waterfront Room Near the Event
Have a romantic and cozy place to come home to after an evening of strolling around town and taking in the sights and sounds of the season. Savor a glass of wine in the peace and quiet of your romantic room and then rest easy in a plush bed. When you awake, enjoy a delicious Southern style breakfast and hot cup of coffee before setting out on another wonderful day in St. Augustine. Hurry and reserve your favorite room soon before we fill up during the always-popular Nights of Lights event. Happy Holidays to you and yours! We can’t wait to wish you season’s greetings in person.Book Now
Slideshow Images Photo Credit: Rhonda Lovett / FloridasHistoricCoast.com