SUNDAY SUPPER WITH THE SPIRITS
SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 30TH
AT THE DOW MUSEUM OF HISTORIC HOUSES
1790 – 1910
THIS EVENINGS TOUR, “SUPPER”, AND ENTERTAINMENT SPONSORED IN PART BY SAVOIR FAIRE
Tonight you will be having your supper in the 173 year old Dow House, one of the 9 historic houses on the beautiful Dow Museum grounds. These last 200 years, many folks have lingered here for a night or a fortnight; however tonight, we will sup with spirits of two famous ladies who brought the Gilded Age to St. Augustine.
At 6:30 PM guests will arrive at the gate and be greeted by their guide in period clothing, then shown to the 1906 Worchester House where wine and cheese refreshment will open the evenings’ festivities.
As the guests enjoy the refreshment and mingle, the atmosphere changes, suddenly it is 1906; the flamboyant Dr. Luella Day Mc Connell sashays onto the scene in her Barnum and Bailey fashion, introduces herself as Diamond Lil, and her fascinating St. Augustine story unfolds. When the Diamond Lil energy fades, the real life guide steps in to bring everyone back to the present, it is time for the lantern light tour of historic homes and gardens.
At 7:30 PM, after the tour of homes, the guests will be seated for a lovely plated supper. The candlelit, linen covered tables will be set with chilled salad and carafes of wine. Candles are flickering; soft music is filtering through the cottage as the main course is efficiently served. Tables cleared, desserts and coffees served.
Suddenly another woman appears from the dark, she looks to be a contemporary of Diamond Lil. Could it be that infamous Ida Alice Flagler, the second wife of millionaire developer Henry Flagler? The wife who hosted the most elaborate balls St. Augustine has ever seen! Disheveled but determined, clutching her Ouija Board, it is evident she has been here before, in the dark and quiet, looking, looking. Tonight however, you are here!
Tonight all guests will receive a copy of author Karen Harveys “Daring Daughters”!
· When: September 30th 2012
· Time: “Activities” begin promptly at 6:30; you don’t want to miss anything!
· Place: Dow Museum, 149 Cordova St. St. Augustine, Fl. 904-823-9722
· Menu: Sliced beef tenderloin with steamed prawns, with horseradish sauce. Potatoes Maison: herbed, whipped, piped and baked. Steamed fresh carrots with butter and dill. Nantucket salad. Key Lime cake with fresh berries,
· coffee, red and white wine.
· Price: $ 59.00 per person, cash or charge, includes a copy of “Daring Daughters”.
· Reservations: Required reservations paid 3 days prior to event.
Contact: Dow Museum 904-823-9722 or Melissa Stuart 904-501-1253